Wednesday 12 November 2014

Dotty about Dolly

I get my inspiration from the weirdest places. My son's building blocks, or a skirt, or a flower or in this case, a pair of pyjamas featured in a catalogue. ;) At first glance I thought they were pale blue with clouds on them, but closer inspection showed that they were just big white dots. Still, they gave me pause for thought.

A square with a circle in the center.

A square with a cloud in the center.



A square with a sheep in the center! I dropped what I was doing and picked up a pen and paper  and started sketching. The next time I had a few moments to spare, I started hooking, and the first part of my pattern was born - a circle within a square. Then after a bit of fiddling, I had the head. It took me a few goes to get the shape just so, and after that the legs seemed a bit of a doddle. I wasn't sure if anyone would like it, I mean, it is a rather random thing for a square, but I already had ideas for developing this into a themed blanket. The blocks for those will come down the track, but for the meantime, here is my wee Dolly, the sheep destined to be cloned again, and again, and again. ;)

(Dolly was the name of the first cloned sheep).

Dotty about Dolly



Materials:
I used a general 8ply Acrylic Yarn (Panda Carnival 100% Acrylic) and a 4mm hook.
Abbreviations:
This is written in US terms.
Sp – space
Ch – chain
DC – double crochet
TR – treble or triple crochet
Pattern:
I’m writing this as a basic pattern. I’ve used “chain 3” as the start of the first round and thereafter a
standing DC, they all count as a DC; however, you can use whatever starting method tickles your
fancy. You can make this in one continual piece, or you can tie it off each row. Just have fun with it.
;)

The “Rock Solid Circle In A Square” also found here:

http://getknottedyarncraft.blogspot.com.au/2014/11/rock-solid-circle-in-square.html

Round 1:
Make a magic circle (tutorial here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PmaQJbyVt0 )
Ch 3, DC 11 into the magic circle. Join and tie off. (12)

Round 2:
Ch 3, DC in same stitch. 2DC in each stitch around. Join and tie off. (24)

Round 3:
Ch 3, DC in same space, (1DC, 2DC) x 11. DC in last stitch, join and tie off. (36)

Converting to a square:

Choose any stitch to begin. Ch3. In next stitch work *(1DC, 2TR, 1DC), 1DC, 2HDC, 2SC,
2HDC, 1DC**

From * to ** forms one side. Repeat twice more. Repeat once more BUT leave off the last
1DC as this is the ch3 from the beginning of the round. Join and tie off. (48).

If you want the square larger, please go to round 4 of my square pattern found here:

http://getknottedyarncraft.blogspot.com.au/2014/11/rock-solid-granny-square.html

Please note, the stitch counts do not match perfectly between the two styles. The Rock Solid Circle
in a Square has 8 stitches between the corner stitches in the outer row – which is roughly
equivalent to row 3 in the Rock Solid Granny Square which has 7 stitches between the corner
stitches.
So row 4 in the Rock Solid Circle in a Square will have 11 stitches in-between, Row 5 will
have 14 stitches in-between and Row 6 will have 17 stitches.
Regardless of the slight difference, the patterns are worked in the same style; you will just
add one more stitch in the middle of the row between the corner sections. You still flip your
work over in Row 5.



Legs and Face:

FACE:
Make a magic circle and sc 3 in it, ch1, turn

1sc, 2sc, 1sc, ch1, turn (4sc)

1sc in each stich, ch 1, turn (4sc)

Work the next round through the face stitches, but also the outermost round of the inner
colour of the square. So on mine, it was through the outermost round of white. You may
place the head wherever it suits you. I liked it in the corner because I thought it was quirky.

1sc in each stitch (also passing through the stitch behind), ch 2, turn (4sc)

sc in first stitch, slip stitch 3, ch 3, sc in 4th stitch. Tie off.

LEGS:
Chain five, slip stitch onto where you want the top of the leg to go. I placed mine through the
top of a stitch from the second round.

SC into the second chain from the join and to the end. Tie off.

Use a darning needle to draw the final thread through the top of the first round of the second
colour (in my case, light blue) and to the back. Repeat for the beginning thread, but through
the next stitch. Tie the two ends together at the back and clip the left over yarn.

You may of course, devise your own way to affix the free end to the square.



BAAAAAAAAAAAA. You are done. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment